Sydney FC produced passion and poise to finally add points to performance with two second half goals giving the Sky Blues a courageous and well-deserved 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium tonight.

After starting the season with encouraging performances against fellow title contenders Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar but coming up empty in front of goals, Jamie Coyne and Nick Carle hit the target with splendid strikes to give Sydney FC a come-from-behind victory.

The goals were good reward for both players who, along with teenager Terry Antonis, were tremendous all afternoon.

Coyne’s penetration down the right flank was a constant threat all night, in fact he had a shout for penalty turned down in the first half, while Carle hit the post before slotting home the winner with 10 minutes left in the match.

Antonis though was a standout and after three strong performances the 17-year-old is starting to add consistency to his obvious natural talent.

Aside from the forced change with Ivan Necevski replacing Liam Reddy in goals, Sydney FC went into the match with the same side as last weekend and the fluency was obvious on the opening exchanges.

Sydney FC had the better of the opening moments of the match, pressing Adelaide high up the park and playing the ball through the midfield, centrally through Antonis and using both flanks when Brett Emerton and Coyne made lots of space.

Sydney FC had the better of the chances in the first half with Antonis denied a penalty after he was shoved in the back inside the penalty area. The teenager also had a shot cleared off the line, Karol Kisel had a shot blocked, a Nick Carle strike cannoned back off the crossbar and Bruno Cazarine hit the post with a header.

Eugene Galekovic also made a number of quality saves in the Adelaide goal.

The home side did have some moments in attack, most notably a miss by Andy Slory, but the goal came against the run of play when Dario Vidosic jumped on a Michael Beauchamp mistake inside the six yard box to open the scoring in the 30th minute.

It was an undeserved lead for the home side at the break and after half time Sydney FC continued its dominance.

The reward came in the 60th minute when Coyne struck. Antonis made a strong run down the right flank, beat a defender and cut the ball back for Coyne to smash the ball past Galekovic’s near post into the top corner.

The attacking raids continued for Sydney FC, although there was a scare when Brett Emerton was replaced in the 66th minute after suffering cramps. Emerton had a more free role with the Socceroo switching regularly with Kisel and Antonis around the midfield and looked good before he was replaced by Rhyan Grant.

The winner arrived in the 81st minute when Carle found the back of the net after a wonderful slide-rule pass from Karol Kisel put the misfield clean through on goal and he calmly slid the ball under the advancing Galekovic.

Sydney FC 2 (Jamie Coyne 60, Nick Carle 81)
Adelaide United 1(Dario Vidosic 28)
Hindmarsh Stadium
Crowd: 12,054
Referee: Gerard Parsons

Sydney FC: 20. Ivan Necevski, 3. Jamie Coyne, 4. Pascal Bosschaart, 5. Michael Beauchamp, 7. Brett Emerton (23. Rhyan Grant , 8. Karol Kisel, 9 Bruno Cazarine, 10 Nick Carle (2. Sebastian Ryall ‘86), 15. Terry McFlynn, 17. Terry Antonis (11. Dimi Petratos ‘80), 21. Scott Jamieson.

Sub not used: 30. Ryan Norval (gk).
Yellow cards: Nil
Red cards: Nil

Adelaide United: 1. Eugene Galekovic, 2. Osama Malik, 4. Jon McKain, 6. Cassio, 7. Zenon Caravella, 9. Sergio van Dijk, 10. Dario Vidosic (21. Francisco Usucar ‘52), 16. Spase Dilevski (14. Cameron Watson ‘65), 17. Iain Ramsay (5. Daniel Mullen ‘79), 22. Milan Susak, 23. Andy Slory.

Sub not used: 20. Mark Birrighitti (gk).
Yellow cards: Spase Dilevski 35, Andy Slory 73.
Red cards: Nil