A late winner from Bruno Cazarine saw Sydney FC end their six-match winless run with a hard-fought 2-1 comeback victory over Gold Coast United at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday.

The much-needed victory against the Hyundai A-League cellar dwellers revitalises the Sky Blues' stuttering finals campaign and is just their second win at seven matches at the Sydney Football Stadium; both of which have come against Gold Coast.

A scoreless first half gave way to a three-goal second period as Karol Kisel cancelled out Ben Halloran’s goal, before substitute Cazarine powered home a 89th minute header.

The early signs were promising for Sydney FC who came close to scoring a much-needed early goal, following a string of poor starts to their home matches at the Sydney Football Stadium.

However, Brett Emerton’s curling second minute free-kick hit the foot of the post with Terry Antonis unable to put away an awkward rebound.

After a slow start Gold Coast came to life with firstly James Brown pushing a weak effort just wide, before the same player delivered a free-kick which was headed powerfully onto Liam Reddy’s crossbar.

Sydney FC fullback Rhyan Grant forced Gold Coast goalkeeper Jerrad Tyson into a sprawling save midway through the half as the home side attempted to turn up the heat.

Moments later Kisel spurned a golden opportunity as the Slovakian was put through on goal after a superb exchange of passes involving Nick Carle, only for Tyson to again make the block.

Despite Sydney making the early running in the second half it was Gold Coast that finally broke the deadlock ten minutes into the second period.

Ben Halloran converting at the far post with a cool finish after Peter Jungschlager’s expert cross opened up space.

The home side were desperate for a fast response and Antonis nearly provided the spark. The teenager’s delicious chipped cross found Mark Bridge only for defender Ante Rozic to make a superb block.

From the ensuing corner Carle directed a volley past Tyson only for Rozic to again deny the Sky Blues, this time making a miraculous block on the line.

Sydney finally drew level on 71 minutes as Pascal Bosschaart’s long throw-in somehow found its way to the back post where Kisel gleefully swept the ball home.

With the Sky Blues seemingly set for more home ground disappointment, Kisel craftily turned provider for the game's pivotal moment with his perfect cross directed home from close range by Cazarine.

Sydney FC 2 (Karol Kisel 71m, Bruno Cazarine 89m)
Gold Coast United 1 (Ben Halloran 55m)