Adelaide United and Melbourne Heart share NYL spoils

Sunday, 26 January 2014 5:46 PM

Adelaide United and Melbourne Heart share NYL spoils

Adelaide United had the best of their home game against Melbourne Heart at Thebarton Oval on Sunday in the Foxtel National Youth League but failed to come away with the points, settling for a scoreless draw.

There were more promising moves forward by the Baby Reds, although Melbourne's defence remained strong all game, led by goalkeeper Tando Velaphi.

With the 35c temperature, drinks breaks were taken half way through each period.

The tone of the first half saw Adelaide have the majority of possession and work forward, with Heart threatening on the rebound several times.

With Jordan Elsey creating many forward forays out of defence and Nikola Mileusnic looking dangerous forward of centre, the Baby Reds seemed to have the edge but Melbourne stood firm, led by the sure hands of Velaphi in the net.

In the game's first minute after kick-off, Adelaide's Nathan Konstandopoulos had the first shot on goal, which was wide, then two minutes later Jack Bladen's header was saved as the home side threatened.

Then in the blink of an eye, Heart went forward through Philip Petreski and Paulo Retre passes to set Ersin Kaya up with a one-on-one with Adelaide goalkeeper Paul Izzo, who saved the 25 metre shot just three minutes into the contest.

Tight defence was the order of the day over the next 20 minutes up to the first drinks break.
For the remainder of the first half opportunities to score were rare, the exception 35 minutes in when Ryan Kitto's free kick from 30 metres for Adelaide came in high, where Elsey rose above the pack but headed it slightly high over the bar.

The second half was a tight defensive battle, as the heat started to take a toll, with players from both sides tiring and numerous substitutions being made.

Melbourne went on the attack early in the second half, with Ross Archibald having his header saved and Petreski's shot sailing over the bar in the first five minutes of the period.

Bruce Kamau came on after the break for Adelaide and looked lively, several times worrying Heart with his pace, but they managed to cover the speedy sub.

Both teams desperately searched for the first goal of the game as time marched on, with Adelaide coming closest, as Anthony Costa missed two headers from close range, both going wide, just after the drinks break 25 minutes in and 10 minutes from the final whistle.

The Baby Reds transgressed three times in the game's final 15 minutes, which saw the referee produce three yellow cards – to Matthew Bouzalas, Daniel Bowles and Donovan Pollock.

Best for Adelaide included Daniel Bowles, who worked hard forward, Elsey for his work all over the ground and Jake Barker-Daish with his attacking play.

Heart was well served by Velaphi in goals, while Ben Garuccio was solid throughout the contest and Petreski was threatening on many Melbourne attacks.

Adelaide United 0
Melbourne Heart 0

How far will Western Sydney go in the AFC Champions League?