News

Curitiba World Cup stadium in doubt

Wednesday, 22 January 2014 1:08 PM
 

In the wake of news FIFA have threatened to withdraw World Cup hosting rights from the Brazilian city of Curitiba, Football Federation Australia have released a statement outlining Australia's stance on the issue.

The world football governing body has told officials in Curitiba they have until February 18 to prove they can get their stadium ready for the World Cup or risk exclusion from the tournament.

The 43,000-seater Arena da Baixada is so far behind schedule that FIFA is unsure if it will be ready in time for this year's tournament.

"FFA has noted FIFA's comments that Curitiba's World Cup stadium is only 90% complete and missed the initial December 31 deadline and will seek advice from FIFA on the issue," said an FFA spokesperson.

"The prospect of matches being moved from Curitiba raises serious concerns, particularly for Socceroos fans who have secured tickets and made flight and hotel bookings.

"We hope the measures announced will ensure that Curitiba's readiness will be confirmed by the 18 February deadline."

The Socceroos are scheduled to play their final Group B match against Spain at the stadium on June 23.

 
Poll
Which team will be crowned Champions of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season?