Reds climb to equal second in Foxtel National Youth League

Sunday, 22 December 2013 8:28 AM

Reds climb to equal second in Foxtel National Youth League

Adelaide United have moved to equal second on the Foxtel National Youth League table following a 4-1 win over an injury-ravaged Perth Glory at Intiga Stadium on Saturday night.

The Reds scored two goals in each half in a dominant display and are now level on points with the Newcastle Jets, who drew 1-1 with Brisbane Roar earlier on Saturday.

Antony Golec opened the scoring in the 25th minute before the match was suspended for a lengthy period when Glory youngster Aleksandar Jovic suffered a broken leg.

Both teams left the field after officials decided to clear the pitch for Jovic to be taken away in an ambulance.

Jovic's injury came after Glory suffered a blow in the warm-up when Joshua Tucker strained a quad muscle and had to be replaced in the starting side by David Stokoe, who then rolled his ankle after just 20 minutes and took no further part in the match.

Reds striker Anthony Costa came agonising close to opening the scoring after 16 minutes when his dipping free-kick clipped the crossbar as the visitors took control of the match.

Both teams were lively after returning to the pitch following Jovic's injury, with the Reds picking up where they left out almost immediately.

Costa made it 2-0 for the visitors just six minutes after play resumed with a punishing strike from close range.

Glory was able to score against the run of play when Adelaide goalkeeper Paul Izzo missed a ball that was kicked back to him and Harry O’Brien took advantage.

Borbor Sam had two chances late in the first half to level proceedings, but was unable to convert his first attempt while a harsh offside call on Gian Albano spoiled the other.

But it was all Adelaide after half-time and only some timely and opportunistic defending from Blamo Qua Qua and Scott Robertson prevented the Reds from going further ahead in the first 20 minutes after the break.

Another rare blunder from Izzo, who fell outside the box when he grabbed a high ball in the 67th minute, gifted Glory a free-kick from close range but the home side were unable to capitalise.

The Reds then scored two goals in two minutes through a long-range strike from Dion Kirk and a goal-line header from substitute Bruce Kamau to ice the impressive victory.

Adelaide have now won four of their past five matches, while Glory slumped to a third straight defeat and remain second last on the table.

Perth Glory 1 (O’Brien 42m)
Adelaide United 4 (Golec 25m, Costa 35m, Kirk 73m, Kamau 74m)

Played at Intiga Stadium

Perth Glory: 1. Luke Radonich (GK), 3. Mark Barnett, 4. David Stokoe (2. Jack Oldham 20m), 5. Sean Troup, 6. Blamo Qua Qua, 7. Borbor Sam, 8. Jacob Collard, 9. Aleksandar Jovic (15. Gian Albano 29), 10. Harry O’Brien, 11. Slobodan Vulin, 14. Mohamed Beyan (16. Scott Robertson 57m).

Unused substitute: 12. Fraser Greenwood (GK)

Yellow cards: Blamo Qua Qua 45m, Sean Troup 54m, Borbor Sam 59m

Adelaide United: 2. Dion Kirk, 3. Shaun Harvey, 6. Jack Bladen (8. Nathan Konstandopoulos 60m), 9. Anthony Costa, 10. Ryan Kitto (7. Bruce Kamau, 60m), 11. Nikola Milesunic (17. Jordan O’Doherty 60m), 13. Jordan Elsey, 16, Jacob Melling, 19. Daniel Bowles, 20. Paul Izzo (GK), 21. Antony Golec.

Unused substitute: 1. John Hall (GK)

Yellow cards: Ryan Kitto 31m, Antony Golec 34m, Anthony Costa 64m

How far will Western Sydney go in the AFC Champions League?