The Westfield W-League 2012/13 Season Draw has been released with a revitalised eight team, 12-Round, 48 match regular season and two week finals series in what is sure to be a fascinating summer of football.
Season five of the Westfield W-League will kick-off on October 20 with a Grand Final re-match between Canberra United and Brisbane Roar.
Click here to see all the fixtures for 2012/13.
In Round 2 the Westfield W-League’s first ever inter-city derby will begin at Leichhardt Oval when Sydney FC host Western Sydney Wanderers FC.
Not only has the Westfield W-League expanded to eight teams, the number of rounds and fixtures have also increased giving fans, new and old, greater chance to witness the best women’s footballers in the country throughout the summer of football.
ABC TV will again be broadcasting the "Match of the Week" for all 12 Rounds of action in an all-new format and timeslot.
The new format will deliver a one-hour highlights package at the new timeslot of 5pm AEDT showing all the action in a jam-packed hour of the best of the Westfield W-League.
While the Westfield W-League 2013 finals series will be live and exclusive on ABC1.
Fans will also be able to watch matches live via ABC online or can catch up on the full match via ABC’s iView.
“The Westfield W-League has grown from strength-to-strength over the past four seasons and has become an integral part of the summer of sport on show in Australia,” head of Westfield W-League Damien de Bohun said.
“Anticipation for the coming season is strong, with an exciting new broadcast initiative, the league returning to an eight team format and the regeneration of our national team happening in front of our very eyes on Westfield W-League pitches across Australia, this season is sure to generate a huge amount of interest.
“This season will also be boosted by the added element of our first genuine derby with Wanderers FC set to take on Sydney FC in Round 2.
“I look forward to running, promoting and witnessing all the action this season in a summer of football that I am sure will resonate with many fans both nationally and internationally as we continue to grow the women’s game.”
Westfield W-League 2012/13 Season Key Dates:
- Grand Final rematch – Round 1 at McKellar Park between Canberra United and Brisbane Roar (20/10 @ 2pm AEDT)
- First Western Sydney Wanderers FC game away to Adelaide United at Burton Park (20/10 @ 2.30pm AEDT)
- First Brisbane Roar home match at Cleveland Showgrounds (3/11 @ 3.00pm AEDT)
- First Newcastle Jets home match against defending champions Canberra United at the Hunter’s Westfield W-League home, Wanderers Oval in Broadmeadow (27/10 @ 2.00pm AEDT)
- First inter-city derby in Westfield W-League history with Sydney FC playing Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Leichardt Oval (27/10 @ 2pm AEDT)
- First Western Sydney Wanderers FC home match at their official home of Campbelltown Stadium (3/11 @ 2pm against Perth Glory)
- First morning game to be played in Perth on 17 November @ 11am Local (Perth Glory vs. Sydney FC, nib Stadium)
- Sydney FC to play Perth Glory as curtain raiser to Sydney FC’s first Hyundai A-League home derby at Allianz Stadium on Saturday 15 December @ 5pm AEDT
- Westfield W-League 2013 Semi Finals – 19/20 January
- Westfield W-League 2013 Grand Final on Australia Day Weekend – 27 January, 2013
- 12 round and eight team competition (an increase of two rounds and one team from last season)
- Westfield W-League 2013 Semi Finals and Grand Final to be shown live and in full on ABC1
Click here to download the Westfield W-League 2012/13 season draw.
Finalisation of some venues and kick-off times still to be confirmed.