News

Lowy | 'FIFA should not rush decision on Qatar 2022'

Tuesday, 17 September 2013 3:43 PM
 

Lowy | 'FIFA should not rush decision on Qatar 2022'

The Chairman of Football Federation Australia, Mr Frank Lowy, said today FIFA should not rush a decision about moving the 2022 World Cup from a northern hemisphere summer to winter at its 3 October Executive Committee meeting.

Mr Lowy said there was a real risk of making a bad situation worse if FIFA did not take time to consult its Member Associations and consider the many implications that would flow from such a decision.

He said two main groups would be affected – those nations, like Australia, that were required by FIFA’s own Bidding Agreement documents, to bid for the event based on it being staged during the northern summer; and those leagues around the world, including Australia’s Hyundai A-League, which would be severely disrupted and suffer financial loss.

FIFA’s 3 October meeting should consider the following:

• If there is consensus within the Ex-Co that a change in date should be considered, then a transparent process should be established to examine the scheduling implications for all leagues and a method developed for agreeing appropriate compensation for those affected.
• An in-principle decision that just and fair compensation should be paid to those nations that invested many millions, and national prestige, in bidding for a summer event.
• That any final decision on a winter World Cup should only be made after the investigative chamber of FIFA’s Ethics Committee, chaired by Mr Michael Garcia, concludes its inquiries into the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

If the Garcia investigation was to cast doubt on the 2022 bid process it would create a perfect storm of chaos and uncertainty for world football if FIFA had already altered the timing of the event.

“Better to let the independent investigative process run its natural course and then, with those issues settled, make a clear-eyed assessment about rescheduling and its consequences,” Mr Lowy said.

Mr Lowy said he had written to FIFA President Sepp Blatter in July to explain Australia’s position.

“Australia invested heavily in the World Cup process and the entire nation was behind the bid,” he said.

“Since December 2010 Australia has been careful not to let its misgivings about the process be interpreted as sour grapes.

“But now, with increasing speculation about a change that will impact on us as one of the bidding nations, and because our competition will be affected, we have made our position public.”

Mr Lowy said he explained to FIFA that the A-League was now finally gaining a foothold in the sporting landscape of Australia.

“Our season takes place during the Australian summer to avoid a clash with other local football codes, a move that was necessary because the A-League simply could not get access to the high standard stadiums required as they were being used by other codes during the Australian winter,” he said.

“If the World Cup were to be staged in the middle of our A-League season it would impact on our competition, not just for 2022, but for the seasons leading up to and beyond that date.

“Clubs, investors, broadcasters, players and fans would all be affected.

“FIFA has an opportunity now to make the best of a bad situation by embarking on a transparent and orderly approach, unlike the process that led to the original flawed decision in December 2010.

“FIFA champions the notion of ‘Fair Play’ and that principle should apply to the decisions it makes in the coming months.”

 
Poll
Which team will be crowned Champions of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season?