It’s time to channel the spirit of Gold Coast United, because it’s time for a Fantasy Football Fire sale.
With the end of the third round will come the sharp rise in some cases of player salaries, which means this week represents your last chance to grab some bargain basement buys for your team and there are plenty to be had.
With so many names on offer, your good mate The Scout is putting his reputation on the line by recommending you the top five bargains of the season, so get 'em while they’re hot.
1. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners): It appears as if Graham Arnold has decided to go with Sainsbury as Patrick Zwaanswijk’s centre back partner and given his super cheap price of $96,900 he has to be snapped up. Not only has Sainsbury seemingly come of age but the Mariners will as always keep plenty of clean sheets. 180 minutes down and 0 goals conceded, it’s a good start.
2. Iain Ramsay (Adelaide United): The Reds winger has had his detractors over the years, but it seems like with a little faith from John Kosmina, Ramsay has begun to put it all together. After two rounds he has scored more points than any other player in the competition and at around 125k he is a steal, especially now he has cemented a starting spot. Buy him now or miss out!
3. Louis Fenton (Wellington Phoenix): The young Phoenix star not only shone bright on debut but he also played exceptionally well in an undermanned side against Melbourne Heart, there is no questioning Fenton has a big future and that he will play a lot of football for the Nix. At just $96,900 you would have to be a fool not to have him in your side.
4. Jeronimo Neumann (Adelaide United): 136k for a quality midfielder who is going to get game time and has shown himself to be a threat in attack, Neumann ticks all the boxes and his missed penalty aside, he looks to be the goods and a great pick up for Adelaide. He can be a star going forward.
5. Dean Heffernan (Perth Glory): Given his proclivity for racking up silly yellows and reds, this might seem a bizarre pick, but in truth the Glory won’t give up a lot of goals all season and as a vital cog in their defence Heffernan can score plenty of points, he gets forward in attack too, meaning he can give assists, expect him to be worth a lot more than his 96k starting price.
On another note yours truly picked up his game a little from Round One but I’m still giving plenty of you a start here in Fantasyland, but it’s OK - I’m looking at the long haul and hoping the returns of Mr. Smeltz and Mr. Thompson from international duty will result in plenty more points in the coming weeks.
A big congratulations to "Taipans" manager Cameron who picked up a whopping 218 points thanks to a team laden with Brisbane Roar stars as they routed Melbourne Victory.
Team of the Week:
Eugene Galekovic 16, Trent Sainsbury 22, Craig Goodwin 20, Ivan Franjic 20, Thomas Broich 28, Mitch Nichols 28, Erik Paartalu 22, Iain Ramsay 18, Massimo Murdocca 18, Ryan Griffiths (c) 60, Besart Berisha 26
Total Points = 278
The team is selected in the cheapest, valid formation and may not necessarily be possible to select. Formation 3-5-2
Got tickets to see your team in action this weekend? Click here for tickets
to all the matches.
The official Hyundai A-League 2012/13 fantasy football game and tipping competitions are also open - so sign up now.