Brisbane have secured a Westfield W-League home semi-final with a closely-contested 1-0 own-goal victory over Sydney at Queensland Sport and Athletic Centre.

With the Sky Blues requiring a victory to leapfrog the Roar and take hosting rights for next week's semi between the two, the rivals went chance for chance through an exciting 90 minutes, and could only be separated by Terasa Polias' deflection into her own net in the 32nd minute.

For the Roar, Hoshimi Kishi - filling in for injured first-choice stopper Casey Dumont - turned in an admirable performance between the sticks, making a handful of fine saves, making smart position decisions and distributing quickly and efficiently from the box.

Allison Lipsher was equally impressive guarding the Sydney net against a potent home-side attacking line-up.

Brisbane had the early running, playing cautiously from the back and holding possession, but it was Sydney with the first opportunity, going close to a sixth-minute opener after a well-worked corner forced a desperate goal-line scramble from the Brisbane backs.

In the 13th minute, Kyah Simon looked certain to put the visitors into the lead, outpacing a trio of Brisbane defenders to a long through-ball, only to be shut-down by on-rushing 'keeper Kishi.

The Roar began to work forward with greater purpose midway through the stanza, using the full width of the pitch and pressing forward for Lana Harch to lash top-right, demanding an athletic save from Lipsher.

Leena Khamis was the first lady in the referee's book, earning a yellow at the half-hour mark for a cheeky ankle tap on Brooke Spence, as the feeling between the traditional rivals began to show their feelings.

With the side's trading chances, it was an enterprising run from Spence that spurred the breakthrough. Driving to the base on the left flank, she cut back a dangerous pass to a swarm of supporting teammates, forcing Polias to slide in, where she couldn't make clean contact and ended up lobbing her 'keeper.

Feeling the chance of a home-semi slipping, Sydney upped the ante, rounding out the half with a pair of ambitious, long-range shots, forcing Kishi to put hands on the ball yet again.

The second frame began with play still on an even keel, before Brisbane had a great chance to double the lead in the 63rd, with nippy forward Tameka Butt only thwarted by a courageous effort from Lipsher, who threw herself at the feet with complete disregard for self-preservation.

Servet Uzunlar went within a whisker of evening things up in the 68th, hammering a fierce long-range drive that climbed only fractionally north of the Brisbane crossbar.

Both sides rang the changes through the final quarter of play and the home subs were able to negate the impact of Sydney's bench, despite conceding the best of the field position and possession.

Brisbane Roar: 1 (OG Polias 32)
Sydney FC: