Australian referee Jarred Gillett is set to become the first foreigner to officiate a Premier League match after the 34-year-old was promoted to Select Group 1 by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).
Gillett is one of Australia's highest-profile referees, having officiated several top fixtures in the A-League between 2010 and 2019 - including five Grand Finals - before moving to England.
He joined the English Football League (EFL) and was the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) for a number of Premier League fixtures, but the promotion to Select Group 1 means he is now eligible to take to the pitch in one of the top football leagues in the world.
Football Australia Chief Executive Officer, James Johnson, paid tribute to Gillett on his historic appointment.
"Football Australia would like to congratulate Jarred on this wonderful achievement, which a testament to his hard work and dedication over the course of his esteemed career so far," said Johnson.
"To go from the A-League to the Premier League in just over two years is something Jarred can be incredibly proud of, particularly because he is poised to become not only the first Australian, but the first foreign official in Premier League history.
"His appointment highlighted a fantastic month for Australia on the global football stage, which saw our National Teams conclude an extremely positive window of matches and the appointments of Joe Montemurro as Manager of Juventus FC’s Women’s Team, and Ange Postecoglou as Manager of Celtic FC.
“We'd like to wish Jarred all the best with this appointment and the Australian football community look forward to watching his potential Premier League debut in the coming months."
The 2021/22 Premier League season begins on Friday 13 August when newly-promoted Brentford host Arsenal.
Jarred Gillett's honours:
- A-League 2010-2019, 159 matches as a referee
- First match 19/09/2010, Gold Coast United v Central Coast Mariners
- 159th match 08/03/2019, Brisbane Roar v Western Sydney Wanderers
- A-League Grand Final & Referee of the Year x5 – 2012, 2015-2018
- FFA Cup Final 2018 - Adelaide United v Sydney FC
- FIFA Referee 2013-2019; AFC Elite Referee 2014-2019
- Member of the inaugural Video Assistant Referee (VAR) panel in the A-League (2017)
- Officiated in the J-League, Indian Super League, Chinese Super League, Saudi Professional League, 2015 International Champions Cup
- Added to Select Group 2 Referees Panel in 2019, refereeing EFL fixtures as well as Fourth Official & VAR for Premier League
- Refereed 2020/21 EFL Championship Play-off Semi Final, Brentford v AFC Bournemouth
Latest newsSee more
Olyroos 2 Argentina 0: ‘Oh what an Olyroo night’
The Sapporo Dome on the Japanese Island of Hokkaido was the stage for the much-anticipated Olyroos Opener against the might of Argentina. The Matildas with a winning start against New Zealand, the men's team desperate to do the same in the first Olympic appearance by the Olyro
Brisbane to host the 2032 Olympic Games
Brisbane has been officially confirmed as the host of the 2032 Olympic Games. Australia will become just one of three countries to host more than two Games (Melbourne 1956 & Sydney 2000). Football Australia CEO James Johnson said: "Football Australia congratulates the